Thursday, July 29, 2010

Bunnies and dogs!! I have 2 bunnies and want to get a dog. Anyone have any experience/advise? ?

I have two rabbits and we have been thinking about getting a dog. Has anyone had any experience with this. Good idea or not? Also, I have read that you should never leave them alone in a room together no matter how long it has been or how well they get along. Is this true or had anyone had rabbit(s) and dog(s) where they could. Thanks!!Bunnies and dogs!! I have 2 bunnies and want to get a dog. Anyone have any experience/advise? ?
I babysat my daughter 'class bunny' when she was in school. We had 2 dogs, a cat, and rat. The dogs were fine with the bunnies, but I think that had alot to do with them growing up with a rat (he was there first).


I'd suggest getting a young puppy, they could end up being great friends if you socialize (supervise) right away when the dog is young. The rabbits may be a bit skittish so you might need to ease them into it.


All of my animals always got along ...rat rarely stayed in the cage and he and cat would wrestle...and the dog and the cat would wrestle ,too. Nobody ever got hurt. The rat even used to pick food out of my Rottweiler's dish while he was eating...he'd stop and let him get a morsel.Bunnies and dogs!! I have 2 bunnies and want to get a dog. Anyone have any experience/advise? ?
In the wild (coyotes and wolves) kill and eat rabbits. Since all dogs are descendants of wolves, they would see the rabbits as their food. You can train them (if very careful) not to kill the rabbits - but you can never trust them without supervision.
i have the exact opposite: two dogs and one bunny, i just gate of the area where the rabbit plays so the dogs cant get to it. its not so hard just get a plain old baby gate and fence it off and then if it plays behind the couches put boxes there so the dogs cant get through!
I'm not sure you couldn't have them together if they are raised together .I mean the dogs from pups. I know my sister has birds,cats and dogs that all play together. So why would bunnies and dogs be any different.

No comments:

Post a Comment