Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Can anyone advise me how to wean my 13 month old daughter off the breast?

She uses no dummy and doesn't suck her thumb so she is using my nipples as a comforter. She screams if i refuse to give it to her. She has 12 teeth so i'm sure you can imagine the pain of having bitten nipples lol. She eats and drinks perfectly well so i'm sure she could manage without having my breast milk as well.Thank youCan anyone advise me how to wean my 13 month old daughter off the breast?
Its not easy!I fed my youngest till she was 2.5y then I just told her they (boob) were broken ,she cried but I stuck to it and she gave up ,one of my others just weened him self .the funny thing about the broken boobs is that a while after ,she walked in on me in the shower and said ,mummy they are not broken,I think she had an idea that they were physically broken like a plate LOL any way she would just rub them as she went to sleep for a while,she is 3 now any happy ,it is hard to say no but you just have to if it is right time for you.Can anyone advise me how to wean my 13 month old daughter off the breast?
For obvious reasons you can't just ';quit cold turkey';! Just taper off, stick to one feeding a day, at night , if she needs it to go to sleep. Part of this is going to be weaning yourself! I know, because I've nursed 3 fuul-term, and that LAST TIME was sad for me.

Report Abuse



That's ';full term';

Report Abuse



Find her distractiona dn do it slowly so you don't get sore boobs. Good luck.
Get a nipple for the milk bottle - eventually your baby will just start drinking milk if she gets hungry anyway.
my children were on my breasts til they were over 2 yrs old and one son was 3 before he got off my breast....good luck
apply a drop of medicated neem oil on your nipples just before feeding i bet the baby will leave it
TAKE HER TO THE STORE AND LET HER PICK OUT HER OWN SIPPY CUP, KEEP PRAISING HER FOR BEING A BIG GIRL, AND GOOD LUCK.
no but join mumsnet its a fab website for mums and im sure someone on there will give you good advice
Ask the doctor if its ok to ween her off the milk, maybee use a bottle instead if its injuring you. As for trying to get her own way, you will have to teach her she cant, otherwise you've got a very long 18 years ahead of you.
allow her to wean by her self. It isn't hurting her to still nurse at her age. My son nurse until he was almost 3. When she is ready to quit she will quit. Just relax and enjoy the time you have together.
Quite cold turkey if she screams let her scream. Stop wearing nursing bras so that she doesnt pull up your shirt and help herself.
Try reducing the time she is allowed the feed, ie. initially make it a special cuddly with mummy ONLY before bedtime.





then try getting your partner to put her to bed and hence the opportunity to feed wont be there.





Eventually it will slip her mind and it wont be an option any more
Let her scream? I never had a problem with it. I said no, and the fit started, then the fit ended. My youngest is 18 months old now, and he is still a bit mad about it, but he's getting over it.
one of the answers grossed me out


how can you have your kid suckin your boob at 3 years old


that is just not right


get her off of it now before you gotta be walkin around with her attached to your boob!
express your breast into a clean/sterile container, pour the contents into a feeding bottle, she will still have the taste of breast milk, and gradually add formula or regular milk into the feeding bottle. This way you are not taking both breast milk and nipple from her, this is a slow process and you have to be patient or keep the bottle near your breast when feeding her good luck!
try to cut your nipples
apply leomn juice on ur nipples or a bittergourd juice on them wen ever she feels so . slowly her desire to do so will perish . i'm sure tat tic can work 100%. good luck
ur baby girl just like her mother and she dosen't want to leav her thats all (just jokin) find something she like best, like deby has said take her to baby shop let her pick what she likes best, try and find out her favorite snack. but u also have to ignore her once in a while if she continues to cry for it.


i hope this will work.
Dont deprive your daughter of this amazing time in her life.
i just stoped to give it to my son when he was 20 months old. he cried an hour i cried with him too but that was all. now he'll be 5 soon and get some milk from his 2 months sister lol
be careful your hubby might pik up on your weakness and hang on to the other one lol sorry ***** resist lol good luck tho xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment