Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thoughts/advise on installing new heating/air system?

I live in a duplex that has a pretty old heating/air system. The thermostat isn't exactly accurate anymore so we never really know when the system is going to kick on and off. That plus the poor insulation in the home causes our electric bill to go up more each year. I'm planning on doing whatever I can to fix the insulation but I'd really like to put in a new heating/air system. Does anyone know where I should start in for this project?Thoughts/advise on installing new heating/air system?
Why not start with the insulation and a $40 thermostat and see what that does? It's a lot cheaper and thermostats do go bad. If you replace the heat/AC it will be more efficient but the cost will take years to recoup. What I mean is how much a year can you really expect to save? Take that savings and divide it into the cost of the new system and see how many years it will take to pay for it. If the system still works well, then set the money aside and let the Heat/AC run until it dies, then replace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment