Thursday, July 29, 2010

Employment advise: how to leave or quit a job, earlier than expected?

I was recently hired as a part time employee at a local agency, and I have a bit of responsibilities that are solely mine. The pay is really not enough, and the job duties are below my competency (I have a BA); however, I accepted the offer with the knowledge that I probably will not stay for over four months.





I am currently going through testings and various interviews for full time and much better paying positions elsewhere. I know that the hiring at these places will take two+ months. Ideally I would be hired by the end of the 2007 year, but I really cannot say.





The people at the local agency are genuinely very nice, and I feel bad about the situation that I will probably have to put them in. There is only one woman training me, and she is just great. However, I have not told anybody about my situation since the full time position is still not for sure.





When should I let my employer know about my desires to leave?? Is it weird to be feeling guilty?Employment advise: how to leave or quit a job, earlier than expected?
You said yourself they know you will leave before long. Give them 2 weeks notice at the least, a month if you think they won't fire you on the spot or won't allow you to work the full month. It's normal to feel guilty when you leave a job if you care for the people there. I had something very similar happen, and I was crying as I gave my two-weeks' notice. They kept me on the two weeks and I even trained my replacement over the two weeks after that. And when SHE didn't work out, they hired me as a consultant again to train someone new. So, things never go exactly the way you think they will. But you need to be thinking of your future and your here and now and make the best decisions for your career and life. If that means leaving this part-time position, then it's just something that you'll have to find your way through. It helps to let them know how much you've enjoyed working for them and how much you appreciate all they did for you while even knowing you were only going to be there for a short time.Employment advise: how to leave or quit a job, earlier than expected?
You're welcome. Good luck!!

Report Abuse



First, make sure the potential employer does not contact your present employer before you have a chance to discuss it with them. You should give at least two weeks notice before leaving employment. Once you know you may be a short list candidate, I'd let my employer know that I am seeking full time work but will give them adequate notice.
You work for a temp agency and thats fine, thats part of the whole scheme. They know youre not permanent, and over qualified for the job. WHEN YOU KNOW the other job is permanent, THEN u tell the agency and give 2 week notice. The shoes will be filled.. dont stress it, but its normal to be feeling bad... but u do the right thing by giving proper notice and helping to train whoever replaces you will be the proper thing to do!! THEY WILL understand!! Besides, feeling guilty is only when u have done something wrong, and u havent!! Good Luck with the job!!
Its understandable to fell guilty. Just submit a letter giving them 2 weeks notice of your seperation. This will enable you to use the job as a reference in the future if you want to and you leave the company on decent terms.
When you have a firm offer from another employer ,


They will ask when you can start .


Tell them you need to give a 2 week notice to your current employer .


Employers hiring know this is the standard courtesy ,


And usually allow this unless there is some emergency .


( I even gave a start date of 2 months off one time )


Then give the temp agency the 2 week notice .





This is standard business protocol and you should get over guilt feelings ASAP . They are irrelevant to this situation .





%26gt;
Don't feel guilty, you have to look out for yourself. I wouldn't say a word to anyone until you know you have another position. Try to give them a 2 week notice of when you will be quiting. Usually when you are newly hired they will ask when you can start. Just say that you need two weeks. That is the norm.
  • tanning sunscreen
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment