Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I need advise on how to pursue Personal insurance sales?

I've been working as a CSR in Property %26amp; casualty for almost 4 years. I've been licensed for 3. I am needed in the position that I'm in, but my boss (been w/ this agency 1 1/2 yrs) Finally said that I can collect comission on any sales that I personally generate...He is not wanting me to focus on that during office hours, as that's not what my salary is for. Therefore I am not given the ';extra grooming'; that he gives new hires...no leads no sales seminars, etc. I know that I am good at writeing %26amp; servicing policies %26amp; so does he. That's the reason why he's insisting that I keep the position that I'm in %26amp; build a book of business on my own time. I'm OK with the hard work that's involved, I'm just not sure where to start. I have offered to quote my friends %26amp; family, %26amp; some just kind of blow me off, like they don't take me serious. Others say they want me to, but never get back to me with the info that I need. Any advise?I need advise on how to pursue Personal insurance sales?
Trying to generate a ';book'; of customers from scratch is always tougher at the beginning. I've been doing personal insurance sales for about four years now and it gets easier every year. My best referrals come from existing clients, without them your job is already more difficult.





A couple of suggestions for you. First, network, network, network. The more people you speak with, the larger your web becomes. Don't tell people you're selling insurance on the side, they don't want to hear that it's a second thing for you. Tell them you're selling insurance and nobody can service their account as well as you can because you also work closely in the customer service department. Sell yourself.


Think about joining a networking group that meets after five or before nine. BNI is a great one depending on where you are in comparison to where they have active chapters. Also use help from your friends. They don't want to move their insurance, fine. Do they work with anyone who might be interested. If you're too shy to ask for referrals from people you're comfortable with, you'll never make it in a commission sales environment. Do you have a friend that makes websites? Look into putting one up and advertising it on craigslist or with google adwords. Your commissions could cover the cost and then some. Good luck. It gets easier the longer you've been doing it, and the renewal commissions after a few years are nice.I need advise on how to pursue Personal insurance sales?
GREAT TIPS, THANKS!

Report Abuse



Sounds like you want to sell P %26amp; C instead of health/life?


either way, people are going to need to talk to you 9-5 %26amp; sounds like your boss wouldn't go for that. You could try cold cllg (everyone i know wants H.O. quotes, auto's tough though) really can't do too much business evenings only -good luck
I work with a major Insurance company that has a great Agency Intern Program. I would try and get into a program like this with one of the major companies. In this program you get exposed to a number of agents around the area where you will be working and they help teach you how to run a successful office. They also train you and get you prepared to open your own office. This is a paid position and you would want to wait to sell to your family and friends once you open your own office. There is a lot of risk doing it this way since once you open an office you own the business with all the risks. Go to the big firms like State Farm, Allstate, Nationwide and the like and talk to agents who own an office. Most will be happy to tell you about their firm and what it takes to open an office and get into the industry.
Need to emphasis the hustle in your game. Sales is different from merely writing the business. You must come up with a saavy plan for selling the product. But don't come across like a uncaring sales person selling insurance. Its doesn't fit well with folks. The approach is different although you are selling something people need. Your style must be of one that is unique and offer your customer service ability not the product first.

No comments:

Post a Comment