Monday, August 23, 2010

I rescued a cat from the street, he and my dog are not really getting along. Any advise?

I recently rescued a cat from the street, he and my 21 month old Shihtzu are not really getting along, it has been 7 days now, but my dog is extremely territorial. Any adviseI rescued a cat from the street, he and my dog are not really getting along. Any advise?
7 days is no time at all; they need much more time to adjust to each other. Supervise their interaction for the moment %26amp; don't leave them together when you aren't there. Make sure that your dog has his own space %26amp; his own time with you without the cat. Feed them separately %26amp; give each of them his own sleeping area. Encourage good behavior %26amp; praise the dog when he is OK with the cat. Don't punish him when he reacts against the cat. Be patient - it may take some time for the dog to accept the cat. They may never become friends but they should learn to at least tolerate each other.I rescued a cat from the street, he and my dog are not really getting along. Any advise?
They need time to get used to one another. My cat and dog still fight with eachother occasionally, and they've been living together almost a year. You could try discouraging your dog from barking at or running after the cat. Eventually he/she will accept him as part of the family.
Don't worry, give it some time: they'll take a liking to eachother sooner or later, they need time to figure out the boundaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment