Sunday, August 22, 2010

Someone can advise me on the proper use and maintenance of 4 whele drive in my 95 Nissan Pathfinder?

I have never used/had 4 wheel drive before, I recently drive my Nissan Pathfinder across the country, pulling a 12' trailer behind me. During this trip I had to use the 4 wheel drive quite a bit as I hit a lot of snow.





My father in law told me that if the 4 wheel drive is engaged while driving on dry pavement, the motor will burn out. Is this true? Also I had a few times going in and out of the 4 wheel drive, there is a light on the dashboard to indicate that I am in 4 wheel drive, it turned on everytime, but sometimes I would shift out and it didn't turn off. Does this mean I am still in 4 wheel drive? What speed should I shift into and out of the 4 wheel drive?Someone can advise me on the proper use and maintenance of 4 whele drive in my 95 Nissan Pathfinder?
Let me start by saying I am a 4x4 expert! You should be going anywhere from 1-3 mph when shifting in and out of 4wheel drive. As long as you don't go over 40 mph on street in 4wheel drive u will be ok. Service ur front differental every 6 months if you go 4wheeling alot. Keep all areas under and around the axels and tranny sprayed off. About ur light, some 4x4's need to be reprogramed because the light stays on. Put the truck in netural on a slpoe the try to engage and disengage 4wheel drive.Someone can advise me on the proper use and maintenance of 4 whele drive in my 95 Nissan Pathfinder?
get it in some mud
Bradman got this one right. I'd only like to add that you should pay special attention to his recommendation to service by changing ALL fluids relating to driving (transmission, transfer case, axle) when you've used 4WD a lot. The fluids get burnt fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment